Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tyler posts about Amy Sillman today, and promises more to come. He describes her as a painter's painter, whose work refers to the history of abstraction...and not as a failed conceptual artist. Now there's a novel conceit.

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, the LACMA will be removing Jeff Koons's Tulips and Charles Ray's Firetruck due to wear and tear from museum visitors. Yes, visitors: Apparently a woman's bracelet scratched Tulips during a reception, and many people's hands and bodies have made their way past the rope stanchion in order to caress--or scuff--the piece.

This is something that's amazed me since I've started working at the AAC: Put a rope up and you can bet that people will lean--or step--right over it in order to try to lay their hands on an object that should really only be handled with white cotton gloves. And I'm not talking about kids, here; the majority of offenders are full grown adults. Since I've started working here, we've gotten security cameras...and after watching some of that footage, I've taken to posting volunteers near certain pieces at receptions. Their job: To stand by and say, "Hey! Don't do that!" over and over again.

Is this a lack of training? Or are people just biologically attracted, moth-like, to shiny objects?

Anyway, I'm off to MICA today for round two of grad crits. I swear I will do my best not to rub any of the art while I'm there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Jones said...

Keeping sticky little fingers off the art is always an issue. However, my personal favorite (this really happened at our gallery) was when a woman reached and touched a sculpture hard enough to break a significant piece off it. When confronted, her first reaction was "I didn't do it." Then she said, "I didn't mean to break it." And ultimately she comes out with this classic, "The artist can make another one can't he." That last one really hurt.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home