Thursday, March 05, 2009

In thinking about the Philadelphia Museum of Art's Cezanne exhibition, Richard Lacayo has posted a slideshow on the TIME website illustrating the artist's lasting influence through a series of comparisons. Hard to deny the Matisse, Picasso, and Braque affinities, and I love the way Ellsworth Kelly appropriates his trapezoidal Bay of Marseilles...but once you get past that, I get the sense that this makes for a harder sell. Contemporary art based on Cezanne merits one slide entry (Yes, the Kelly is from 2002, but you know what I mean): A Jeff Wall that, without, the artist's word that he is, in fact, thinking about Cezanne's card players, could be about any painting in the last 400 or so years on the same subject. Hey, I love Cezanne, but I'm not sure how much contemporary artists continue to wrestle with the same kinds of experiential, image/memory/perception/tradition quandaries that so absorbed him at the end of the 19th century.

Elsewhere, Kriston thinks about the current show at Curator's Office on the AiA site. I second Philip's (Barlow?) question over on Adventures of Hoogrrl!: Why is this considered NEWS AND OPINION, and not REVIEWS? Is the REVIEWS section strictly limited to the 500-or-so-word entries in the back of the print version? Well, whatever heading it's filed under, I'm happy to be able to read it there.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think stuff that appears in "Reviews" is pulled from the magazine whereas "News and Opinions" features writeups from shows that are up currently.

4:25 PM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

Well, yeah, I got that. But the NEWS & OPINIONS designation seems arbitrary. Your piece reads like a review to me, not a news flash or an editorial.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right about that.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home