Friday, May 01, 2009

stella by starlight

If you missed the Martha Rosler lecture last night, it was pretty great, as was Josh Shannon's conversation at the end with Rosler about photography and the postmodern landscape.

Weirdly, I didn't see any UMDCP studio art folks there--maybe one or two grad students, but not a single faculty member.

Next Friday at 12:30: Come see me give a talk at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden about the permanent collection. I'll be discussing Frank Stella--specifically, the painting pictured here, Darabjerd III, from 1967.

To people who know my interests, Stella might seem like an odd choice, but I swear the discussion will be entertaining...and probably a little digressive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susanne K, McLean, VA said...

I wondered into Hirshhorn museum on my lunch hour, casually decided to follow the gallery talk group, and totally enjoyed your discussion of Frank Stella's paintings.

I am sorry I missed Martha Rosler. I usually hear about these events too late. Can you recommend a good source of information for local art news/events?

3:47 PM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

First, my apologies for taking so long to reply--and my thanks for coming to hear the talk!

Second: Well, you might try some of the sites in the blogroll, over in the right column of this very page. Peruse Philippa Hughes's Adventures of Hoogrrl--she faithfully lists art events once a week, every week; Lenny Campello also offers a very inclusive cross-section of what's going on around town. Round that out with DCist & the City Paper's gallery listings...and Grammarpolice, Thinking About Art, Matthew Langley...and, well, that's hopefully a start, anyway.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home