Thursday, August 27, 2009

cue the crickets

So Matt Langley posted earlier this month that he will be relocating to Brooklyn sometime in September or thereabouts--and at that point presumably will become a NYC-centric arts blogger.

Now J.T. Kirkland announces that after a five year run, he's thinking about not writing Thinking About Art anymore.

The herd (such as it is) appears to be thinning.

I've talked to a number of other D.C. bloggers over the summer about the problems of keeping up with their respective blogs--particularly when it seems like the platform is eroding or fragmenting anyway, branching into a number of related outlets for the same sort of activity. See Twitter; see Facebook.

And then there's the example of Jerry Saltz, who seems perfectly content to continue to post his electronic musings/campaigning on Facebook, and has said point blank that he doesn't want a blog. Some have argued that he's clearly on the wrong platform--he can't monetize his writing on Facebook; is struggling with an interface not meant to do what he wants it to do; is merely afraid of having to take his electronic side project too seriously, etc., etc.

For me, an admittedly part-time blogger with no real designs for monetizing what I do here, the desire to use Facebook actually makes sense. My blog posts automatically appear in my FB feed, and at this point I tend to get more comments from D.C. folks there than here. (Which makes me wonder sometimes if I should discontinue the practice--is it hurting my stats? Do I have stats?)

That said, I'm still charmed by the way my blog automatically archives whatever I do. I also like having a roster of blogs that I actually read over in my sidebar. And I enjoy the feeling (even if it's a bit illusory) that I'm stitching my voice into a buzzing, jostling web of other viewpoints, all aggregating and interlacing in similar ways.

3 Comments:

Anonymous philip said...

Some of us will not "join" Facebook, so one thing to keep in mind is that whatever it may seem like, Facebook is not public.

12:06 PM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

Good point. I will say, though, that facebook has become pervasive/invasive in a way that its predecessors--myspace, friendster--didn't manage, and has wormed its way into people's lives pretty effectively. Like a lot of people I know, I get my fb updates on my blackberry, which means I'm continuously updated on all sorts of things I couldn't possibly need to know about 350+ of my closest friends. I don't know that it's productive, or useful, but it's there, and I've certainly been seduced by it: the illusion of contact/intimacy with hundreds of people.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

One thing to consider. I've been blogging for eight years, and at this point the ratio of traffic my blog gets from inbound links is about a tenth of what I get from search engines. Sometimes I say that my real audience is Google.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home