Tuesday, November 04, 2008

In honor of this historic election today--in which a black man, for the first time ever, very likely will become our next president--Tyler has been posting an image from the civil rights movement every hour on the hour. Can I compete with that? No, I can't.

I voted this morning. Of course, I voted in D.C., where the outcome for the presidential election is already a given. The only question, really, is how many points less than 10% McCain will get in the popular vote here. (I believe Bush received about 8% of the D.C. vote in the last presidential contest.) Still, casting that ballot felt like a powerful moment, and the mood around the polling site was buoyant.

Also this morning, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., I stopped by the K Street metro entrance to see Lisa Blas. Over the course of about an hour, the artist, dressed in a suit jacket and appearing to be ready for work in any of the office buildings lining the busy street, stood motionless, just a few feet from the escalators. She held a red sign proclaiming that THIS TRAIN IS NO LONGER SERVING MAIN STREET. People were generally unresponsive, although occasionally someone would stop to ask a question or two, which Blas would politely, matter-of-factly answer.

This was just one installment in an ongoing public project by Blas. I didn't take any photos, but I did record some sound, which will accompany an interview I'm doing with the artist...which is part of a larger collaborative audio venture I'll be unveiling in a few weeks. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks. :)

1:02 PM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

Shoot, you even had that elegant image and quote re: Delft to capture the mood for the day after...whereas I offered a clip from Revenge of the Nerds. Classy!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home