Thursday, March 26, 2009

During his lecture at the AAC, Mel Chin showed a trailer for his animated film, 9-11/9-11, made in collaboration with a crew of Chilean artists from Plano Visual Estudio de Animación, and featuring the music of inscrutable Icelanders Sigur Rós.

The film juxtaposes the terrorist attacks in New York City on September 11, 2001 with Chile's own 9-11 tragedy: Exactly twenty-eight years earlier, the democratically elected government of Salvador Allende was overthrown, resulting in the murder of three thousand people and the torture of thousands more during the subsequent reign of Augusto Pinochet.

I can't find any mention of the event on their website, but apparently MoMA will be screening it on April 27, so keep checking their listings...and go see it! In the meantime, you can get a taste below:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

It's down on this page. Search on "Mel Chin".

8:41 PM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

Geez. I swear, I tried searching for his name on the site ten different ways and came up with bupkiss. The internet must like you more than it likes me.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

Didn't you know? I'm Mister Internet. I make love to the Internet as if it were a mature beautiful woman. With a single caress it yields up its bounty to me....

Okay, too much. Let's say I have more time on my hands than you do to rummage around in badly designed museum sites.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home