Monday, March 19, 2007

Today Tyler suggests making movies based on paintings.

(Can you sell the movie rights for static images? Could we see a tableaux vivants revival?)

A sample:

Ed Ruscha, Los Angeles County Museum on Fire (Hirshhorn). Ruscha's masterpiece. Why is the museum on fire? And how will the fire end -- or will it? Sure, there are art historical answers to these questions, but the movie version wouldn't have to follow reality, would it? I see Johnny Depp as the art critic and Angelina Jolie as, well, anything.

This makes me think of a panel discussion at DCAC a year or so ago. Moderator Ian Jehle asked us: Which painting would you run into a burning D.C. art museum to rescue?

I said--of course--L.A. County Museum on Fire. Not so much because I love the picture, but for the comedic possibilites.

Going back to the Corcoran today. Modernism review will run next week, not this one, so I'm taking an opportunity to look again. I ended up doing the same thing with the Visual Music show at the Hirshhorn a couple of years ago--just to make it through all of the films.

Pictured: Edward Ruscha.The Los Angeles County Museum on Fire 1965-66.Oil on canvas, 53 1/2 x 133 1/2". Hirshhorn.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. It is always great pleasure to read your posts.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just moved several blocks away from LACMA and would love to find a print of "The Los Angeles County Museum on Fire". It's especially ironic now that the museum is set to become more architecturally respectable with the Renzo Piano additions. But I've been unable to find such a print. Do you have any ideas on where I might find one? Thanks, Andrew andrewcolville@gmail.com

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home