Monday, September 10, 2007

For some reason, I haven't been following this...but Richard Lacayo's been writing about my favorite hometown art museum, Randolph College's (formerly Randolph Macon Women's College) Maier museum in Lynchburg, Virginia.

As you may or may not know, I grew up in Lynchburg. The Maier consistently opened my eyes: Before ever setting foot in a gallery in D.C. or N.Y., I saw work at the Maier from artists like Arthur Dove, George Bellows, Edward Hopper, Philip Guston, Robert Rauschenberg, Philip Pearlstein--much of which was in their permanent collection. Impressive, I think, for a little town like Lynchburg.

So this story understandably makes me nervous.
Pictured: Arthur Dove, Cow #1, 1935, tempera on canvas, 15 1/8 in. x 21 1/8 in. From the Maier's collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home