Wednesday, January 06, 2010

community-building with pitchforks and torches

The WPA panel on Monday at the Skyline hotel was way more well attended that I would have ever guessed--138 people braved the cold on the first Monday after the holiday to talk about the attitude of arts magazines and journalists to covering DC in general; the WaPo in particular; and the supposed insularity/disconnectedness/monk-like-existence of D.C. area artists. Strong opinions were definitely expressed.

I do have more to say, but I'm on deadline, so for now, I'll direct you to Greg Allen's excellent post from yesterday, Lookin' for Love in All the Wrong Places--where I think he sums up some of the conversation's limitations and disconnects really well.

Meanwhile, over at Pink Line, Philippa also offers her notes on what was said, as well as her own personal responses as a collector of--and agitator for--DC art and artists. Check 'em both out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home