Wednesday, April 07, 2010

painting is sooo not happening right now

Painting is sooo not happening right now. You know? I mean, video, performance, photography, installation--that's where the action is. Project work, cross-disciplinary collaboration, dialogic art. That's the stuff. I have no time for a revered, fusty, hidebound old medium like oil paint. Phooey on that.

Oh, before I forget: You can read my enthusiastic endorsement of Trevor Young's show of new oil paintings--Premium--here on the Civilian website. Opening reception is this Friday, April 9, from 7 to 9 pm. See you there!

Wait, what was I talking about?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Rywalt said...

I went to that link fully expecting to call you on it, to tell you that the painting you were endorsing is clearly conceptual art which only happens to be oil painting, that the artist has no intent to work on the visual plane, and so on and so forth.

I was really wrong. I can't tell from here if the paintings are very good -- they look a little too indebted to Hopper and photographs for my taste, but it's really an unfounded feeling since I'm not seeing the work in person -- but I feel pretty sure Trevor is working visually, not conceptually.

I'm pleasantly surprised. I wish I could see the show in person.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Lenny said...

You had me going... I was about to blast you...

Nice.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home