Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lenny takes issue with my assessment of line in A.B. Miner's paintings (and seems to be talking about me rather a lot over at Mid-Atlantic Art News. Potential stalker alert!)

But he seems to miss the point that I actually liked Miner's drawing--as drawing, mind you, not painting. I did note an exception: the very stark, simple painting I described at the end of my post, From There to Here. That's the one piece in which the paint application and linear language seem to be most in sympathy with one another, not at cross-purposes.

Generally speaking, though, how should line function in a painting?

Short version: There's the way Degas hits a curve, and the way Toulouse-Lautrec does it.

I'm a fan of the former, not the latter.


Agree/disagree?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lenny said...

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"

buah, ah, ah...

:-)

Good points... and I like the mixing of baseball references to Frenchies.

Lenny

9:58 AM  
Blogger matthew langley said...

agreed. thats why painting usually uses form and drawing almost always uses line.

I don't mean to sound pedantic - but isnt that really art school 101?

10:23 AM  
Blogger jhcudlin said...

Matt--

Short answer: Yup.

Slightly longer answer: Depends what century you're painting in. If you could ask Ingres and Delacroix what painting has to do with drawing, you'd obviously get two different answers.

10:40 AM  
Blogger matthew langley said...

True. As always being general doesn't really help in discussions anymore...

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home