Thursday, September 20, 2007

Matthew found this illuminating interview with Chip Richardson.

Plenty of images, and some nice insights--although it reads a bit like a conversation that took place through e-mails, not face-to-face. I don't know about you, but I don't often speak in block quotes.

Chip, of course, directed my thesis at Maryland, and, as undergraduate director, was one of my bosses for a few years there.

I have to say, though, as much as he helped form my ideas about painting, our conversations tended to steer clear of, say, pictorial space and intuitive encounters with color. Mostly I remember his thoughts on martial arts movies and Miles Davis--useful stuff, to be sure--and the smell of his cheap little cigars.

Which is probably another reason why the interview seems a little stilted to me.

I'm guessing Chip thinks I've gone over to The Dark Side since my days working with him--project work? Video? Narrative?? Good heavens.

Maybe I need to get in front of an easel again. It's been awhile.

Say, remember those 22' long, 300-lb posts that were supposed to go up yesterday at the AAC? Well, they didn't. A radical re-think occurred onsite, and now we're going to use a different method--lighter, more flexible. The way we should've done it in the first place.

So if you happen to need $3000.00 worth of pressure treated lumber, stop by. Bring your checkbook...and your forklift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home